A Year of Coronavirus

Emilia Medina, Reporter

Just over a year ago, we went into quarantine for this worldwide pandemic of COVID-19 and it had a great impact on everyone. Since then, many teachers and students ended up having to go virtual. In person, even, we are required to wear a mask if less than 6 feet apart, and we aren’t allowed to share supplies with other classmates or teachers. Hand washing should occur frequently throughout the day as well as different lunchtime practices. This made it difficult for a lot of people, especially not being to hang out with friends and family that you don’t live with, and online school and wearing masks was a big adjustment. 

Jaida Brice says, “During quarantine, it was really hard to stay focused while being at home and now this school year has been way better.” For many students, the first few weeks of online classes were frustrating and took a lot of patience, hard work, and focus but it was a bit of a relief that the school staff and teachers were prepared and had a routine set up to make learning easier. 

On April 7th, 2021, there are 27 lab confirmed cases in the state of Wyoming. That’s a huge drop since January. On the fourth day of this year, there were 342 lab confirmed cases. The peak amount of cases since the beginning of the pandemic was 652 on Nov. 25, 2020. We have come a long way since then.

As of March 16th, masks are no longer mandated in stores and restaurants. Nevaeh Gesner says, “I feel now that we don’t need to wear masks since the mask mandate was lifted, it’s easier to do stuff, but I feel we shouldn’t need to wear masks in school either.” It is still a very good idea to wear a mask whenever you can to keep yourself and others as safe as possible. 

CMS is glad to have students back in school. As long as we all do our part, we will be back to normal soon.

Follow this link for recent information: https://health.wyo.gov/publichealth/infectious-disease-epidemiology-unit/disease/novel-coronavirus/covid-19-map-and-statistics/