A Home Run Start

Grady McCarten, Reporter

Baseball season started Monday, April 5th with the Cody Cubs on the mission to defend their state title, trying to go back to back. There are 33 kids that went out for baseball this year, middle and high school, the teams will be announced at the end of the week. We will have three teams this year A, B, and C teams. 

Coach Bart Grenz tells you more, “The team(s) look good this year.  After the first couple of practices… I have been really impressed with how skilled the young players are. We have a great group of middle schoolers out for the team, 18 middle school boys total. The returners (Ethan Johnston and Tristan Blatt) had a lot of success last year.  The C team finished 2nd at state and the A team were State Champs. The program is going to be very solid for years to come with these players.”

Jayvin McAlmond was on the B team last year and is striving to get even better this year. The 8th grader will show  us how he will improve. “Well, I am looking to improve on batting, I have batting tees at my home and a net and some different weighted balls that I go home and practice my swing to get it better, faster, and hitting line drives. I also work on my pitching, working on spin rate and velocity.”  “I hope to achieve a higher exit velocity, pitch velocity and have a batting average of at least .400 for this season and to start for at least B team,” says William Duke.