A Splash into the New Season

Emilia Medina, Reporter

Did you know that Swimming Season has started in Cody Middle School? Swimming started on February 16.Practice is at the Rec Center after school from 4:15 to 6:00. Many students signed up and can’t wait for their first competition. CMS is excited about this season and to see our school succeed!

Lily Hogan said, “Swim practice is really fun, it helps me stay active, and I’m always so excited for meets!” Our students seem to be really enjoying swimming and their practices as well.

There are many different types of styles for swimming and meets including backstroke, freestyle, sidestroke, breaststroke, and butterfly,the main 5.Some swimmers do only one event while others compete in multiple.. Lily O’Connellstated, “I can swim 300 hundred and 500 hundred altogether, I swim about 1000 a day but I’m in the advanced lane so I swim a long distance, and it’s why I enjoy my competitions.” 

CMS swimmers are ready for a splash into the new season!  

Facts/ History:

Competitive swimming started in Britain around the 1830s mostly using breaststroke which is the oldest type of stroke. Breaststroke is also known as the “frog” stroke since the arms and legs move somewhat like a frog swimming in the water. But  this strokeis the slowest of any competitive strokes. Swimming was part of the first modern Olympic Games in Athens during 1896 and in 1908, the world swimming association, Fédération Internationale de Natation was created.