Politics At School

Rachel Williams, Columnist

With the election still going kids are bringing up their opinions on politics in the classroom. Whether or not you can talk about it changes in every class. Just like the teachers, the students’ opinions on whether or not this is an appropriate subject for school differs. I think politics is not a subject to bring up in school. 

We are on one side of the election consistently. Many kids have been influenced by their parents, quite a few of which feel that Republicans are better than Democrats. So kids that may feel that a certain democratic candidate will do better, will more than likely be told by many that their choice is wrong and what is so bad about that candidate. I don’t know about you but I don’t like being told that my opinion is wrong. It makes me feel invalidated and unimportant. 

School is supposed to be a safe place. In more than one of my classes when the subject somehow ends up on politics many of my classmates get very heated. They start yelling at each other and stop listening to the other side of the argument. I don’t feel heard so I don’t share my opinion. School is supposed to be a place where you can share your opinion.  

Politics become too heated and kids don’t listen to both sides. If it makes some feel invalidated and unimportant, it isn’t a subject to be in school. It isn’t worth how it makes some kids feel. School is supposed to be a safe place to share your ideas and opinions. Politics gets rid of the safe environment. It is too controversial.