Jewell of Wyoming

Jewell of Wyoming

Alyssa Despain, Reporter

Isabel Jewell was born July 19, 1907 in Shoshoni, Wyoming. She was a short little gal at the height of 4’ 11”. Starting in high school she acted for many different stock companies. Her dad was a very good doctor and they had a big family ranch. In 1930, Jewell had her first broadway casting in the show “Up Pops the Devil.” She went to school at St. Mary’s Academy in Minnesota, and later attended Hamilton College. Due to good reviews in her high school acting gigs, Isabel went to Hollywood. She was almost never given big roles in any movies, and called herself “The most unsuccessful successful actress in Hollywood.” 

Isabel Jewell had many different love relationships during her career, none of which lasted longer than two years. She was mad at Hollywood and her life situation, so she moved to Las Vegas. Jewell was arrested for writing bad checks, and two years later spent 5 days in jail for drunk driving. Throughout this whole dilemma, Isabel never gave up her acting career. Although, she only acted in a couple movies after her jail time was over. On the day of April 5, 1972, Isabel Jewell was found dead in her own home at the age of 64. It’s said that her death was due to natural causes, and she was buried back in her hometown of Shoshoni, Wyoming. When Isabel tragically died, she had no family left, so most of her belongings were given to friends. One of her famous personal quotes is, “I want nothing that I haven’t earned through my own efforts.”