Education In Iceland

Back to Article
Back to Article

Education In Iceland

Logan Class, Feature

In Iceland they don’t have any schools because it is too cold and windy and the buildings can’t stand. That would make sense but, the schools in Iceland are actually some of the best schools in the world. The students go to school for 9 hours a day and have 4.1 hours of homework a week in compulsory education. The children in preschool attend school for 4 hours as a minimum and don’t really get homework. Surprisingly, students must attend a public or private school they cannot be homeschooled like students in America and other countries. In the compulsory schools, (or elementary school) there is a council with 3 representatives of parents that help make decisions for the school before an idea is put to work. Most of the schools have around one hundred or more students in them, but the largest schools have eight hundred or more students in them. And then there are the smallest schools that can have around 10 or less for students. In Iceland there are 192 compulsory schools, 42 upper higher education and about 9 high education schools. The upper higher education schools are basically the middle schools and high schools combined. Then there is the high education which is college and people from around the world come to study at them. To enter a public Iceland university a student would need around 330 dollars and to enter a private school a student would need 10,000 dollars, more or less depending on the school. And for living costs a person would need about 700 dollars a month to study in Iceland. The sports in Iceland include handball, soccer, basketball, golf, volleyball, tennis, swimming and rock climbing; horseback riding on Icelandic horses, and archery, which is very popular. They teach fine arts, sports, and skills like weaving and sewing. They teach languages, social sciences, and natural sciences about the world and the animals in it. They also think that everyone has the right to have equal education no matter their gender, economical reasons, religion, where they live, and their cultural or social background. Which is good for students to learn so they don’t have to be worried about being accused for being who they are. Unlike America there isn’t as many students who don’t go to primary school. In America there is 1.76 million children not in primary school and in Iceland there is 441 children not in primary school, showing that their laws for school are more strict, on kids going to schools. That would be a good thing for America and then there wouldn’t be as many uneducated people, living on the streets because McDonalds won’t pay their bills.