Wakati wa Shule!!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wakati wa Shule!!

Danielle Lipe, Reporter

Did you know that Uganda has one of the largest youth populations in the world? More than 56 percent of its population is under the age of eight-teen. They often have large classroom sizes getting up to as much as 60 students!! 

Their schools start in February and end in December. Unlike our public schools, their Government schools cost money. The average cost for a primary school is around $50-$150 plus additional school fees such as a uniform (required for all schools), school supplies, and other minor items. The average cost for Secondary School is $300-$450, and if fees are not paid then the student is banned from the school until the fee can be paid. This means that if you don’t pay you don’t get to come, or even step foot on the school grounds.

In Uganda, there are major exams in primary and secondary schools, if you do not pass these exams, you have to go to vocational training which has many popular options such as tailoring, hairdressing, catering, carpentry, and often mechanic’s but not as good as a university. Students who do pass these major exams get the chance to go onto Universities and get college degrees. 

Their lunches consist of posho, beans, and a side of cabbage. Sadly not all schools can provide the kids with lunch, and often they only provide one meal a day.They also have two to three hours of homework a night. Plus other household chores.

Aren’t you glad that your parents are not paying extra money just to get into school, don’t take it for granted!