National History Day

Landen Gallagher

Have you ever wanted to participate in a history competition that really asks for you to commit to your work? Have you ever wanted to really become one with your history project? If so, the National History Day competition is just the educational competition for you!

National History Day (NHD) is a nationwide competition that usually takes place for the duration of a week where middle school and high school students participate in a kind of history competition.

But the participating students won’t just be answering questions in front of a number of judges, oh no. NHD is a year-long annual academic competition where students will work on their projects for the entire given year and sometimes longer. At the end of the given time period to research students will bring their projects to a specified place and present them to a number of judges and audience members. In other words, students will be presenting their projects like they would at a science fair.

“History Day has been the vehicle that creates an understanding and appreciation of history while developing the necessary 21st-century tools, skills, and aptitudes for my diverse student population,” quoted Martin Marin, a man who helped establish NHD.

National History Day has been around for many years, but those on the NHD board have barely changed a thing since they began, and I don’t think that they plan on shutting down anytime soon.

If you are interested in participating in the competition then please contact Mrs. Class as soon as possible.