• December 11December 13-Ugly Sweater Contest

• December 108th Grade Girls basketball, Conference Champs

• December 10Wrestling, Conference Champs

Sit Back, Relax and Take a S.I.P

Landen Gallagher, Feature

What is S.I.P? Why does Cody Middle School have this program? What is S.I.P’s purpose? The acronym S.I.P is more formally known as the Students’ Investment Project, and most students last year knew little more than just what the acronym meant. What most didn’t know is what the S.I.P really means and just how important it is to students futures.

The Student Investment Project focuses on teaching students to be financially responsible savers, spenders, and investors. It teaches students about their future in finances and why financial awareness is important to everyone. It informs students of the importance to long term investing and how to invest logically. Investing by itself is taking money with the hope of making a profit. Investing in a corporation or company is when an investor purchases part or a share of that corporation. Imagine this,  there is a piece of paper up for sale and an investor want to buy a part of it. The person investing would purchase a piece of it or a share of it, as mentioned earlier, and then that piece of paper now belongs to them and they can hold on to it as long as they’d like. But say that piece of paper suddenly grows more expensive to buy, if the investor would like to they could sell that piece that they purchased earlier and possibly make a profit. That is investing summed up.

Last year students didn’t dig very deep within the subject and they didn’t really get a chance to gather some of their own research before grades sixth through twelfth invested in their chosen corporations. Dillon Bullock stated his mind in an interview about what he remembers about S.I.P from last year.  “ Last year I remember very little research actually being done by students on what corporations we chose, all I really remember is that we were given a slideshow to look at and some corporations recommended for us.”

An interview was also conducted with the S.I.P Board’s president, Mr. Nieters, and he was able to enlighten CMS students a little bit on what this year holds for the Student Investment Project. “ This year the S.I.P Board aims to be more on the dot for making time for us to teach about S.I.P. We are hoping that more parent volunteers sign up to help the S.I.P board accomplish these goals and possibly help raise more funds for the project. Our main problem last year is we didn’t have enough volunteers to help teach and raise funds for investing, but we are going to do better. If you have a parent who could sign up and possibly help the S.I.P board, please talk to Mr. Nieters right away. At the end of the interview Mr. Nieters also stated that he is personally excited to bring S.I.P back to the light and and up and running!

How will the sip board handle/present S.I.P this year? This year the sip board is going to try to get some parent volunteers to help teach students about investing, excited to get sip of the ground and up and running.

What is investing? Investing, is when you take money with the expectation that you will make money or profit off of something like stocks as we do with SIP. That’s the hope anyway…

What are stocks/shares?(for the sixth graders) a corporation is a company and when you buy shares of that company, you own those certain pieces of that company. If you had a piece of paper and you bought a piece of that paper, you own that piece.

What corporations did we invest in last year? The 6th graders last year invested money and purchased 7 shares of Apple, 4 shares of Fedex, and 7 shares of Disney. Currently the portfolio with that class is up with Apple being the leader.

How do we decide what corporations to invest in? Students are given a list of stocks that are given to SIP board members from financial investors within the local community. The list includes stocks that financial investors feel confident in sharing with our students because they know our intention of investing long term. Although we realize there isn’t a fool proof list, we feel good with the list they give us. We provide that list to students so they can do research on them. Students also have the option to search stocks they may like on their own as well.

What are corporations? Corporations are companies in the stock market – Walmart, Amazon, Exxon, Verizon Subway etc. etc..